Sunday, July 26, 2009

Winsom Loosum


I'm told that this lovely boy was found on Winston street, so they named him Winston. As I tend to do (...), I've given him a slew of nicknames. Win's the most used, but there's also Winnie, Sweet Boy (yes, he is my second Sweet Boy foster. Am I lucky or what?) and Tony, in addition to assorted endearments. And I've decided his full name should be Winsom Loosum. Don't know what happened in his life before he met the great folks at Homeward Trails Rescue, but living on the street couldn't have been great. But Win's attitude is so good--he's so warm and loving and smart and kind, that I like to think his mantra is 'You Win Some, You Lose Some.' And whatever he may have lost before, he's not letting it embitter his life or darken the joy he he gets out of just about everything, from a good nap to a snuggle. And we can all learn from that.

Win is *so* loving. When I'm sitting on the couch and leaning forward to read the newspaper, he comes up and wedges himself behind me (rather than sitting alongside). I just took a nap and woke to his head on my belly. He's like a constant reminder that love is right there next to you.

He's a great listener. Now that he's allowed to play (we're not up to runs or anything, but he dashes around with Bella and is always game for a good wrestle with her or any other dog) he sometimes walks off to smell something (being a dog and one who likes to stop and smell the roses). But he responds to his name and happily skips back to my side. He likes to smell (not eat, not knock over) the garbage, but when I tell him to stop, he steps off immediately.

He *loves* rawhides. He can chew and chew and chew. He's convinced Bella of their amazingness and it's rather relaxing to sit and have dinner with two dogs at one's feet enjoying their treats.

Win cracks me up everyday with his love of collecting. Just before I straightened up, his 'nest' had both pink slippers, a winter boot, a sneaker, assorted bones, a newspaper, the dog brush (I watched, fascinated, as he carefully took it off the shelf and carried it off), and his food bowl. Bella, who shares the bed, was not pleased to be sleeping among it all, but she managed. :)

I'm off on vacation for a few weeks and Wonderful Win will be staying with his HT Adoption Coordinator, Rebecca. I'll really miss the guy. If you're looking for a loving, smart, sweet, good boy who is respectful and quiet around kids and is up for playing with any dog, Win is your man. To meet him while I'm out of town, email Rebecca at cmpgnmgr@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment